Sunday, February 27, 2011

Back to Reality....

After a joyous two month vacation, it's back to work for all us English teachers in China. I was somewhat excited for the beginning of the semester until it actually started. I have students that don't participate/don't respond to the simplest questions i.e. "How are you today", attitudes, and my personal favorite the "BLANK STARE" all made their appearance in a matter of minutes. I asked them what they did on vacation and they just stared at me for a good 5 minutes. A brave soul finally said, "I watched t.v. and slept". The others just nodded and simply said "YES". I understand that the students haven't spoken English in a month but where are the "enthusiastic" students I heard so much about? Most days, I feel like a dentist, instead of pulling teeth I'm constantly trying to get information out of my students.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my students and not all of them are divas. Most of them are excited by what I'm teaching and doing but it is hard to find the balance. I'm trying to get them interested and excited about class....everything I do just seems to fall flat. Back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment